Tuesday 17 May 2011

"Nothing To Do With Me" Claim Equine Bosses Accused Of Illegal Vet Med Scam



A stud farm boss and a riding school owner accused of dealing in illegal veterinary medicines - playing a key role in a £6m scam - have told a jury they had no knowledge of the illicit trade.


Management consultant Richard Jones, 60, of Winchcombe Road, Sedgeberrow, Evesham, Worcestershire - founder and owner of Henry Field Stud, Naunton Beauchamp, Pershore - insisted he never bought veterinary medication.


His co-accused, road haulage boss Peter Lock, 53, of Knaves Hall, Warren Lane, Doddinghurst, Brentwood, Essex - owner of Colmar Farm Riding School, Colmar Farm, Weald Park Way, South Weald, Brentwood, Essex, also claims the purchases had nothing to do with him.


Jones told Croydon Crown Court his partner June Connelly, 68, who has pleaded guilty to similar charges, was responsible for buying the medicines and the welfare of the horses.


"It's her money. It has got nothing to do with me or the Henry Field Stud," said Jones. "We have different accounts and banks.


"June did not tell me about it, it was her business. I had never seen one of these cheques used or raised. I did not know what they were for."


Connelly's name is on all the paperwork regarding the purchase of illegal medication from French-based 'Eurovet', but the prosecution insist Jones must have been aware of the trade.


"She was supplying to friends, I never saw any money changing hands," Jones told the court. "I was never involved. I did not know what June was buying.


"My involvement was not in the horses but to finish the buildings as quickly as possible. I have not had time to be running around worrying about a box of wormers."


However, the DEFRA investigation revealed the veterinary medicines included anti-inflammatories, anabolic steroids, tranquillisers, antibiotics, sedatives, painkillers and other miscellaneous products administered to horses, household pets and farm animals.


"I am amazed at the list. I cannot believe it," claimed Jones. "I believed June just bought wormers, I did not see volumes of medicine everywhere. We are not talking about warehouses and marketing."


The fifty-horse stud is Jones' retirement plan and he insisted his animals and those of his clients were not given illegal medicines.


"You are saying the horses were drugged up to the eyeballs, but they would not have been. To my knowledge we did not do it, I certainly did not."


Lock told the jury he bought the riding school, but was not involved in the day-to-day running of the business since 2002.


He is the named company secretary for the school and his ex-wife Michelle - who was not arrested - is the listed company director.


"I had nothing to do with it at all," insisted Lock. "It is a mystery to me, it has nothing to do with me."


When asked why his name appears on a Eurovet client list along with his phone number, Lock replied: "I can't answer that.


"I never went down the stables a great deal. My wife's words were: 'You run your business and I'll run mine'."


He suggested a mystery man known only as J Hawkins, who rented a stable at the school, may have been responsible for ordering the illicit shipments, but this individual has never been traced by the police or DEFRA.


The fact his mobile number pops up in Eurovet client lists does not mean he was importing medicines, insisted Lock. "My wife could have taken my phone and used it at any time."


The court heard the 18-horse school received deliveries of up to half a ton of medication.


Both defendants have pleaded not guilty to a combined total of 34 charges of illegally importing and distributing unauthorised or prescription-only veterinary medicines.


Lock is accused of buying £155,000 of veterinary medicines between January 2004 and September 2008 and Jones £61,000 worth from January 2004.


Married couple Ronald Meddes, 72, and Regine Lansley, 61, - nicknamed 'Ronnie and Reggie' - were the bosses of France-based 'Eurovet' and sold the medicines - many of which originated in Australia and India - and they will also be sentenced later.


Trial continues..........

No comments: