Sunday 11 September 2011

Twelve Years For Teenager Who Stabbed Cop


A teen who stabbed a plain-clothes policeman during a seemingly routine stop-and-search in Croydon has been locked-up for at least 12 years.

Alastair Gregson, 18 of Whitefield Avenue, Purley pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm, with intent, on Constable Nigel Albuery, 34, in Bute Road, Waddon on May 19.

He was sentenced to an indeterminate sentence for public protection of ten years – plus two years for assaulting an 18 year-old girl five days earlier.

At 9:45pm officers from Broad Green Safer Neighbourhoods Team stopped a group of teens and one of them – Gregson – stabbed the officer four times and fled.

He was arrested the next day. No charges were brought against the three youths with him.

Croydon Borough Commander, Chief Superintendent Adrian Roberts said: “This was a completely unprovoked and savage attack on an officer conducting routine stop and search.

“Gregson clearly had no regard for PC Albuery’s life when he made the decision to stab him, not once but four times.

“The sentence Gregson received today will see him locked up behind bars for a long time which is where he belongs.”

PC Nigel Albuery said: “My life was turned upside down by the un-provoked actions of Mr Gregson when he tried to end my life.



“I joined the police service in 2004 and started to learn my job. My confidence grew and I became a competent, reliable and good officer.

“I enjoyed my job and looked forward to coming to work. I made plans for my future career and also plans with my family.

“At approximately 21:45 hours that night it all changed. 



“I was stabbed four times and it has destroyed my confidence and upset all those plans.

“Due to the injuries received I had to spend several nights in hospital many miles away from my family in incredible pain and I also had to have nine weeks off work to recover.

“The time in hospital for me was quite stressful and very upsetting for my family.

“On my time off I was unable to do simple tasks like housework or washing up as I could not stand up for too long.

“Still now I suffer pain in my back if I am standing for long periods of time.

“The prognosis is a haematoma in the back which will take several months to disperse and will cause me pain.

“I have also suffered scars that will be a constant reminder to me and my family of what happened that night.”

No comments: