Wednesday 30 April 2014

Ex-Met Police Manager Impersonated Cop On Train

Stephen Morgan

A former Metropolitan Police 'Safer Neighbourhoods Project Manager' - suspected of filming up a fellow train passenger's dress during his regular morning commute - tried to dupe witnesses into believing he was a policeman when confronted.

Stephen Morgan, 44, of Christie Avenue, Stafford - the brother of a serving cop - lost his good character and was conditionally discharged for six months, after being convicted of impersonating a police officer, with intent to deceive.

Hammersmith Magistrates Court heard Morgan was accused of filming several short clips on his iPhone up the dress of Gillian Gil as their Virgin train approached Euston Railway Station on August 6, last year.

However, magistrates cleared him of threatening, abusive or insulting words of behaviour in relation to that allegation.

Prosecutor Miss Jessica Deuchar told the court: "He tried to give Miss Gil his business card, saying: 'I work for the police'."

The card carried the address of Edinburgh House, Lambeth - a police building - and Morgan told the train manager: "Yes. I'm with the Met."

Morgan told the court it was an old business card and he was trying to assist by leaving contact details, insisting he did not claim to be a serving police officer.

He did not tell the court what his job was on the day of the offence, adding: "Under oath, I can't."

Miss Gill, who gave evidence behind a curtain, said she awoke from a nap as the 7.14am train approached Euston and noticed the man sitting next to her, Morgan, watching video clips on his phone.

"I recognised my trainers and my dress and there were more video's from my trainers to my legs to inside my dress. I could see my underwear colour as well.

Gillian Gil
"I said: 'What's this? What are you doing?' He said: 'I'm deleting it.'

"I saw three or four, all of me, and I was shouting: 'Can anyone help me?' I was panicked and so nervous.

"I felt absolutely awful. It still makes me feel shaky and angry."

Miss Deuchar said a witness overheard the word "deleted" before Morgan turned to the carriage and said: "Sorry. It's an honest mistake. I touched her leg with my phone."

The father-of-two left the station, but British Transport Police tried to find him, first by visiting Edinburgh House and then successfully by watching CCTV of morning commuters at Euston. 

Officers searched his family home, seizing a large quantity of computer equipment, but it did not result in any more charges.

Morgan, who was supported in court by his wife and police officer brother, who gave a character reference, was also ordered to pay £250 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

No comments: