Friday 13 February 2015

Doctor Cleared Of Assaulting Practice Partner's Wife

Dr.Athar Rana
A G.P. was cleared yesterday of assaulting the wife of his practice partner – who is also the surgery’s manager – who claimed she was pushed by the doctor during another disagreement.

The partnership at the Graham Road Surgery, Graham Road, Mitcham is an unhappy one, but the two doctors continue to practice under the same roof despite their differences.

Dr. Athar Rana, 56, of Circle Gardens, Merton Park was found not guilty at Wimbledon Magistrates Court of assaulting Savita Lall – wife of Dr. Raghunath Lall – at the surgery on October 17, last year.

The court heard Dr. Lall began the practice in 1999, was joined by his wife in 2002 and Dr. Rana came on board in 2004, but the union has not been a happy one.

Mrs Lall told the court: “Dr. Rana came into my room and asked why I had booked patients to him. He was a bit aggressive, a bit loud, there is a problem with Dr. Rana in the practice.

I was frightened, I did not want to discuss it. It's always a problem with him, he got louder and I was more frightened.”

The discussion moved to the reception area, where Mrs Lall claimed the defendant made unwanted contact. “His hand was on my arm and he pushed me.

I was shocked and hurt emotionally about what happened and he had done this before. I did not call the police the first time when he did it before and then called them after thirty minutes.”
Savita Lall & Dr. Raghunath Lall

Dr. Rana says the couple want him out of the surgery and he is deliberately overworked, insisting a complaint made by Dr. Lall to the General Medical Council, which was not proved, was “malicious.”

He claimed he raised his arm to usher himself past Mrs Lall and did not make contact with her.

Dr. Rana told the court the police came for him six days after the incident. “I was arrested in the middle of the surgery in front of my patients and staff.

Dr. Lall has previously said I was sacked from my last job and had lied to him in my interview and I was not very happy about that.”

The pair have sat down with BMA mediators, but Dr. Rana complained: “Dr. Lall ignored that and he still signs cheques without my consent. Nothing has changed.

Dr. Lall doesn't know what the word partnership means, but I have been subjected to this type of behaviour for ten years. I am use'd to it.

I would classify Dr. Lall's behaviour as bullying. They want me to stop practicing and get out.”

No comments: