Wednesday 3 August 2016

Criminal Defence Barrister Cleared Of Sexually Assaulting Drunken Law Grad In Legal Chambers

A barrister, who allowed a young woman he chatted up in a wine bar to don his wig and gown at his nearby chambers was cleared yesterday of sexually assaulting her.

Criminal defence lawyer Alex Di Francesco, 36, a member of 25 Bedford Row Chambers, Holborn allegedly asked the 24 year-old: "Aren't we going to have sex?"

The award-winning barrister, a graduate of Birmingham University and the London School of Economics was found not guilty of one count of sexual assault on January 30 and broke down in tears.

Highbury Corner Magistrates Court heard Di Francesco, of Twenty Acre Cottage, London Road, Flamstead, St. Albans met the petite brunette - also a law graduate - at Daly's wine bar opposite the High Court on The Strand. 

He told the court: "I wouldn't have gone over to speak to them unless I thought they were attractive. The conversation was flirty, friendly."

Former builder Di Francesco confirmed he looked at a bikini pic of the complainant. "I mentioned she had a nice bum, maybe that she looked too slim in the photo.

"She said: 'I wouldn't mind seeing your chambers.' It wasn't about a wig and gown and I told her I was going there anyway and told her she could have a look.

"I don't have a flash part of chambers, it's in a basement, a communal desk and she kept saying: 'You've done really well for yourself, you help people.'

"She stood up and we kissed. I initiated the kiss, it was not brief, but five to ten seconds.

"She did not pull away and I was holding her and she touched me and I touched her."

After trying on Di Francesco's wig and gown the young woman followed him up to a large conference room. "We kissed again in the far corner of the room.

"I got the distinct impression, rightly, that the situation was developing between us.

"She said: 'Lie with me and big spoon.' She lay on the floor and I lay behind her in the big spoon position with arms around her.

"There were points when she would turn and kiss me. It was a bit odd, but I thought things were going alright.

"I touched her leg and her bum. I put my hand down the back of her tights onto the skin of her bum at which point she said: 'Don't do that!'

"It took the steam out and I took my hand away. She kissed me a couple of more times.

"I started to think that I needed to get out of here," explained Di Francesco, adding he refused the woman's offer to return to her Earlsfield home. 

She replied: "You won't go home with me because I won't have sex with you," claimed the defendant.

"I said: 'What's the point of going back to Earlsfield if that's not what we are going to do.' Probably not the most sensitive thing to say."

Three days later the woman reported Di Francesco to the police and he discovered on May 18 he would be charged and has not worked since.

"Different stages of this have been some of the most difficult times of my life as an adult.

"I definitely did not pull down her tights to the middle of her thighs. I've no idea why she's come to court.

"I thought the next thing I'd hear about this was an apology, an apology for saying I would not go to Earlsfield unless it was for sex, an apology for being sick.

'I was not aware she had anxiety and depression and was on medication."

Deputy District Judge Me. Nicholas Wattan announced: "I'm concerned her recall of what happened is impaired by the amount of alcohol she had that evening.

"I can't be sure the events unfolded in the way she described," added the judge, remarking the woman said the conference room was "spinning."

Di Francesco left the court in tears after the judge added: "His account stood up well to cross examination. His account is credible."

No comments: