Sunday, 13 August 2017

Drinker Beaten Unconscious After Leaving Pub

Colin Flett Suffered Serious Injuries
A middle-aged man was beaten unconscious by three violent thugs after leaving a pub, where he had just bought a bike from a passer-by.
Police are appealing for witnesses and information to the unprovoked attack, which left him hospitalised and temporarily unable to speak.
Colin Flett, 52, was found unconscious in Skardu Road, Camden at around 11.30pm on Friday, July 7.
The assault was not reported to police by his family until several days later - and Colin spent several weeks unable to speak to either his family or officers waiting to interview him.
His sister told officers that her brother had been drinking in the Beaten Docket, Cricklewood Broadway that night.
While sitting outside the pub he bought a blue Reebok pedal cycle from man who he had not met before.
He left on the cycle and turned into Skardu Road, he remembers encountering three white men who pushed him off the bike.
He was unable to recall any more details.
Colin sustained a spinal injury and medical staff assessed him as needing a long period of recovery in hospital.
Detective Sergeant Richard Greenwood from the Central North Area Command said: "This was a vicious attack that has left Colin with life-changing injuries, in a very vulnerable state, and has had a devastating effect on his family.
"We would urgently ask any person with information, however inconsequential they may think it is, to come forward and pass this to us directly or via a third party. They will be treated in complete confidence."
The men who attacked Colin are all described as being white and aged between 20 to 30 years-old.
Anyone with information can call the unit's CID number on 0766 781 861 on or 101 or Tweet @MetCC.

Information can also be reported anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org.

Saturday, 12 August 2017

More Detention For Paedo Ex-Schoolteacher

A schoolteacher serving time for preying on young boys four decades ago has received an additional two years after another victim came forward.
Harvey Franks, 76, pleaded guilty to three further offences of gross indecency with a boy under the age of 14 years of age in 1974.
He is already serving 15 years’ imprisonment for rape and sexual assault offences against young boys.
At Croydon Crown Court he was sentenced to the further period of custody.
The victim came forward in March, last year and reported that Franks abused him at Sedgehill Secondary School in Catford, south-east London.
He had abused him multiple time for around twelve months, starting in November 1974, when the victim was 11 years-old.
An investigation by one of the Metropolitan Police's Child Abuse Investigation teams then began and Franks was arrested.
The court heard Franks was already facing trial for other offences of sexual abuse for which he was later convicted of and sentenced to 15 years imprisonment in August, last year.
His new sentence will run consecutively.
Detective Constable Tony Roper said: “Franks stole the victim's childhood, causing him extreme distress and pain throughout his life.
He bravely came forward to report the crimes to the police.
Franks had continued with his life as normal, but he has now been brought to justice.
"This case highlights that no matter the length of time that has passed, the public should feel reassured that the Met will thoroughly investigate non-recent offences and support and work with victims throughout.”

Friday, 11 August 2017

"Ruthless" Robber Locked-Up

A “ruthless career criminal” is starting a long prison sentence for terrorising staff at bookies shops during a series of armed raids.
Marcus Moore 33, received 17 years and 4 months after he pleaded guilty to seven charges of possession of an imitation firearm, four charges of robbery, three of attempted robbery and one charge of theft.
Detectives from the Metropolitan Police's Flying Squad arrested Moore on February 16 after analysis of CCTV footage linked him to a series of robberies and attempted robberies.
Moore armed himself with an imitation gun to carry out the crimes at bookmakers in Bromley, Newham and Essex.
A robbery was also carried out at a Post Office in Bromley.
The total amount of cash stolen by Moore was £4,818.
During his police interview, Moore said he had committed the offences to fund his heroin addiction.
Detective Constable Katie Scott said: "The recent spate of robberies posed a serious danger, not just to the employees of the bookmaking industry, but to the people of London as a whole.
"Marcus Moore is a ruthless, career criminal who carried out these acts of violence to fund his drug addiction.
"As a result of this prosecution Moore is now behind bars for a significant period of time.
"I would like to pay tribute to the victims and witnesses of these frightening offences who had the bravery to support the investigation."
Moore pleaded guilty to the following charges:
Attempted robbery at a bookmakers in Sidcup on 1 February.
Attempted robbery at Post Office in High Street, Sidcup on 6 February.
Robbery at a bookmakers in Newham on 10 February.
Robbery at a bookmakers in Newham on 13 February.
Robbery at a bookmakers Essex on 13 February.
Attempted robbery at a bookmakers in Newham on 15 February.
Robbery at a bookmakers in Newham on 15 February
Seven charges of possession of an imitation firearm relating to each of the robbery offences.

Theft of ID cards and a TV from an address in Bromley on 9 February.

Wednesday, 9 August 2017

NOT GUILTY: Woman Who Pawned £175k Violin Is Cleared

Not Guilty: Dawn Henry
A woman, who tried to pawn a stolen £175,000 violin snatched outside Brixton Underground Station, has been cleared by a jury today.

The three hundred year-old instrument, owned by 56 year-old Krysia Osostowicz, was taken when she cycled off after unlocking her bike and left it behind.

Two days later Dawn Henry, 37, tried to pawn the violin, its £600 brown case and three bows worth a total of £24,500 at a Streatham Cash Converters.

She always insisted she did not know it was stolen and was simply trying to help a former jailbird, known as ‘Paul’, who gave her the instrument to pawn.

She was found not guilty at Inner London Crown Court to knowingly handling the stolen violin and fraud by false representation on July 28, last year.

In a statement Krysia, a professor at the prestigious Guildhall School of Music and Drama, told the jury: “I am a professional musician. It is my livelihood and vocation.

“Every violin has a different sound and personality and the owner of a violin becomes very close with the instrument and it is the only one I own.

“I have performed hundreds of concerts with this violin. It has been my personal companion for twenty-one years.

“Losing it was like losing a child and I blamed myself for leaving it. I was tired and it was a disastrous absent-minded moment.

London-born Krysia was taught by legendary Yehudi Menuhin and the violin was manufactured in Venice in 1720 and can be heard on over thirty of her albums.

It was stolen as she travelled to her Herne Hill home after a Radio 3 performance.

Prosecutor Mr. Matthew Bainbridge told the court it was 7pm when Krysia began unlocking her bike outside the tube station.

“She was carrying a violin case and put it down to make it easier to unlock her bike and rode off.

“A few minutes later she realised she had left it behind and despite only being gone a few minutes when she returned the violin had been taken.

“It was her existence, her passion, her livelihood and was irreplaceable to her and the next day she visited local pawn brokers  and asked them to keep an eye out for her violin.

“Two days later Dawn Henry tried to sell the violin at Cash Converters and the manager suspected it was the one  he had been warned about.

“The case was locked and the defendant said the key was in her car, but came back a few minutes later and said she could not find it.”

The jury were shown CCTV footage of Henry outside the store chatting with an unidentified white male.

“The manager anticipated this was a stolen instrument and called Ms Osostowicz and she gave him permission to break open the case and he sent her pictures of it from her phone.

“The police were called and the defendant was arrested at the store,” added Mr. Bainbridge.

“She said she got it from someone called Paul and he asked her to sell it because he had just got out of prison and had no proof of address and told her she’d get some money.

“She said she did not steal the violin or know it had been stolen.”

Tuesday, 8 August 2017

Woman Pawned £175K Violin Left Behind By Classical Musician Cyclist

Henry: Pawned Violin 
A woman tried to pawn a stolen £175,000 violin snatched outside Brixton Underground Station, described as “like losing a child” by its classical musician owner, a court heard today.

The three hundred year-old instrument, owned by 56 year-old Krysia Osostowicz, was taken when she cycled off after unlocking her bike and left it behind.

Two days later Dawn Henry, 37, tried to pawn the violin, its £600 brown case and three bows worth a total of £24,500 at a Streatham Cash Converters.

She has pleaded not guilty at Inner London Crown Court to knowingly handling the stolen violin and fraud by false representation on July 28, last year.

In a statement Krysia, a professor at the prestigious Guildhall School of Music and Drama, told the jury: “I am a professional musician. It is my livelihood and vocation.

“Every violin has a different sound and personality and the owner of a violin becomes very close with the instrument and it is the only one I own.

“I have performed hundreds of concerts with this violin. It has been my personal companion for twenty-one years.

“Losing it was like losing a child and I blamed myself for leaving it. I was tired and it was a disastrous absent-minded moment.

“The practical implications were huge. I would have had to perform concerts with a borrowed instrument and it would have had an effect on my play.”

London-born Krysia was taught by legendary Yehudi Menuhin and the violin was manufactured in Venice in 1720 and can be heard on over thirty of her albums.

It was stolen as she travelled to her Herne Hill home after a Radio 3 performance.

Owner: Krysia
Prosecutor Mr. Matthew Bainbridge told the court it was 7pm when Krysia began unlocking her bike outside the tube station.

“She was carrying a violin case and put it down to make it easier to unlock her bike and rode off.

“A few minutes later she realised she had left it behind and despite only being gone a few minutes when she returned the violin had been taken.

“It was her existence, her passion, her livelihood and was irreplaceable to her and the next day she visited local pawn brokers  and asked them to keep an eye out for her violin.

“Two days later Dawn Henry tried to sell the violin at Cash Converters and the manager suspected it was the one he had been warned about.

“The case was locked and the defendant said the key was in her car, but came back a few minutes later and said she could not find it.”

The jury were shown CCTV footage of Henry outside the store chatting with an unidentified white male.

“The manager anticipated this was a stolen instrument and called Ms Osostowicz and she gave him permission to break open the case and he sent her pictures of it from her phone.

“The police were called and the defendant was arrested at the store,” added Mr. Bainbridge.

“She said she got it from someone called Paul and he asked her to sell it because he had just got out of prison and had no proof of address and told her she’d get some money.

“She said she did not steal the violin or know it had been stolen.”

Trial continues………… 

Monday, 7 August 2017

Ten Years For Knifeman Who Tried To Kill Woman

A knifeman has received ten years imprisonment for repeatedly stabbing a woman he knows at a north London address.
Taleh Habibzade, 48, of Colyton Way, Upper Edmonton was convicted of attempting to murder the 49 year-old after a trial at Wood Green Crown Court.
Detective Sergeant Darrensing Bheekoo, from Enfield Borough, said: "Habibzade launched a vicious assault on his victim.
She has recovered from her injuries, but the memory of that day will always remain with her.
"Habibzade is beginning a lengthy prison sentence and will have time to reflect on his actions."
Habibzade called police at around 3.20pm on Friday, February 3 to report that he had attacked the victim - who was known to him - at a residential address on Seaton Street, Edmonton.
Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended, finding the woman with multiple stab wounds.
She was taken to an east London hospital for treatment and has since been discharged.
Habibzade was arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder.
He was taken to a north London police station and charged the following day.

Sunday, 6 August 2017

Boozy Guest Stabbed Pal In Throat

A drunken guest, who stabbed a pal through the Adam's apple after demanding cash, has been locked-up for four years and four months.
Toader-Marius Morosan, 38, of Marsh Lane, Stanmore, pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm on the 53-year-old man at an address in Constable Gardens, Edgware.
Harrow Crown Court heard Morosan had visited relatives at the address on May 27, where the victim also lived.
Morosan was drunk and demanded a sum of money from the victim.
The victim told Morosan he did not have any cash.
Later that day, at around 5.30pm, Morosan entered the kitchen where the victim was washing up and suddenly picked up a knife and stabbed him in the throat.
The London Ambulance Service was called, and paramedics treated the victim's wound.
He was taken to hospital and received stitches. He has since recovered from his injuries.
A witness in the kitchen grabbed Morosan as he lunged with the knife, potentially preventing more serious injury.
Morosan fled the scene but was later arrested at his home address.
When interviewed Morosan tried to play the attack off as a joke that went too far.
Detective Constable Amin Kohzadbayat of Barnet CID said: "Morosan's violent tendencies were brought out by his alcohol consumption.
“On this occasion the victim is lucky to be alive as the knife penetrated his Adam's apple, and was only stopped as a witness intervened."

Saturday, 5 August 2017

Brute Gets Six Years For Jealous Frying Pan Attack On Girlfriend

A jealous boyfriend has been caged for six years for a brutal frying pan attack on his partner after he caught her texting in the middle of the night.
Hugh Nelson, 53, of Mayfield Road, Hornsey, was convicted at Snaresbrook Crown Court.
The court heard Nelson became enraged when he realised his 35 year-old girlfriend had texted someone at 5.30am on Sunday, March 12.
He demanded to know who she had messaged and unsatisfied by her response, began slapping her before pinning her to the ground.
As the victim desperately tried to break free, Nelson grabbed a ceramic frying pan and struck her with full force over 20 times.
This caused the victim to bleed, swell and be in pain in all the attacked areas.
Nelson then carried on hitting her on the head and also stamped on her legs and ankles, repeatedly asking her who she had been texting.
He left the property in Tower Hamlets, east London after the attack and was arrested by police the next day.
The victim was taken to hospital and treated for her injuries and has since been discharged.
The investigation by police would also uncover two other assaults in November 2016 when Nelson had slapped the victim.
Nelson was found guilty of these two offences also and was jailed for eight months which he will serve concurrently with the GBH sentence.
Detective Sergeant Robert Brown from Tower Hamlets said: "Nelson proudly exhibited many of the signs of a highly successful life whilst hiding a violent, abusive and controlling character.

“He behaved savagely towards his long term partner on a regular basis for many years, she has been left traumatised by the experience, but I hope this sentence goes some small way to aiding her recovery."

Wednesday, 2 August 2017

Benefit-Cheat Somalian Refugee Sent Daughters To Private School

A Somalian mother-of-five used some of the proceeds of a £102,000 benefit fraud to send her two eldest daughters to a private boarding school.

Refugee Shukri Yusuf, 45, of Waterside Close, Southall claimed she was a struggling single-mum while living with her bus driver husband Omar Jama Tarabi.

She protested her innocence, but on the first day of her trial eventually pleaded guilty to three counts of failing to notify a change in her circumstances between June, 2008 and April, 2014.

The counts relate to dishonest claims for income support, housing benefit and council tax.

Yesterday at Isleworth Crown Court she was sentenced to twenty-six weeks imprisonment, suspended for two years and ordered to complete 175 hours community service work.

Yusuf entered the UK in 1999 and complains that during the swindle she was forced to raise her family in one room accommodation.

Two of her daughters enjoyed a private education and the eldest is now at teacher training college, with her younger sister completing sixth-form studies.

“Your husband is a bus driver and his income was never declared. These crimes funded a lifestyle, big luxuries like a car and private school fees,” Judge Jonathan Ferris told her.