Monday 18 January 2010

Media Man's G20 TV Rant


A freelance photographer who dramatically interrupted a live Channel 4 broadcast during last year’s City of London G20 demonstration has been convicted of smashing a television camera knocked over during the melee.

Reporter Alex Thompson was near the Bank of England reporting the day’s events when 50 year-old Michael Wells jumped off his bike to deliver a rant against the news organization.

Wells of Rutland Gardens, Finsbury Park, denied, but was convicted of causing £1,200 worth of criminal damage to the camera in Poultry on April 1.

City of London Magistrates viewed the short incident supplied by Channel 4, which showed Mr. Thompson, 49, suddenly barged out of the way by angry Wells who then knocks the camera to the ground.

The camera lens was smashed and the incident was also witnessed by two police officers who told the court they saw Wells shove the newsman out of the way before pushing the camera over.

Wells, a part-time Amnesty International fundraiser who photographs news events all over the U.K. and abroad claimed he was pushed into the camera or tripped over his bike.

“It is not a situation I am particularly proud of or relish,” he told the court. “I am a photographer and journalist and I had been at the G20 (pictured) all day and had seen quite a lot of violence.

“My intention was not to damage the camera or manhandle the anchorman, but I did stupidly get in front of the camera.

“I said something and the next thing I knew I was flying through the air and then lying on the ground with people on my back.

“I believe I was pushed or tripped by a third person or Mr. Thompson which caused me to move into the camera,” added Wells.

“It is also likely I tripped over my bicycle and the camera falls over.”

The magistrates ruled Wells was guilty of at least “reckless behaviour” and fined him £100, with £215 costs and ordered him to pay £1,200 compensation to Channel 4.

No comments: