Wednesday 23 June 2010

Ex's Smirk Triggers Deadly Knife Attack


A jilted boyfriend, who plunged a kitchen knife through his ex's heart was "emotionally and psychologically" destroyed by the time she laughed at him about her new Facebook lover, a court heard.


Builder Paul Fender, 44, of The Parade, Greatstone, New Romney, Kent has pleaded not guilty to murdering 28 year-old mum-of-two Karen Martin at 47 Hardy Street (pictured) on November 20, last year, claiming provocation.


"She told him she was sleeping with this other man, that it had nothing to do with him and laughed in his face," Fender's QC Richard Barraclough told the Croydon Crown Court jury.


The lawyer claims the turbulent relationship changed his client from a "kind, outgoing, loving family man" who never lost his temper to somebody suffering "mental torture".


Two ex-girlfriends told the court Fender accepted the end of their relationships with him without any major problems arising.


"He is not by nature an obsessive jealous man," added the QC, explaining his client's relationship with "troubled" Karren was turbulent because of her "string of men."


The couple endured many break-ups and reunions with Fender telling police: "She would leave me at the drop of a hat. I never knew if she would be there from one day to the next."


The defendant claims he was left devastated by Karren's morning-after response to yet another reunion. "She told me it was only sex and I should get a grip."


Apart from the Facebook relationship with an old school friend the victim had also seen another man. "She rubbed Paul Fender's nose in that relationship," Mr. Barraclough told the jury.


Fender also told police: "Day after day she has reduced me to nothing. It's like cutting your wrists everytime she comes around. It's like an open sore."


Mr. Barraclough told the court: "It is a cummulative effect that finishes with that smirk."


Fender also told police that was the moment he reached for the kitchen knife. "That was the final straw.


"I just lost the plot, I couldn't take anymore. She was smirking at me as if I was fuck all.


"I didn't mean it. I just wanted it to all go away. I just wanted her to know how much I loved her."


A former workmate of Karren's at Dungeness Power Station, Jo Clayton, told the jury: "She told me she planned to get Paul to hit her and do him for domestic violence and that would help her get the house.


"She was very flirtatious with all the men."


Trial continues.........

No comments: