Wednesday 8 June 2011

Ripped-Off Drug Dealers Jailed For Deadly Late-Night Revenge Attack


Two men defending a cannabis-growing operation have been jailed for attacking a popular local club promoter – killed by a frenzied gang described as “like a pack of wolves.”

Daniel Herbert, 27,(pic.top) was beaten and shot in the head execution-style while screaming: “Help me, help me,” in Clements Road, Bermondsey, South-East London on August 17, 2009.

Bobby Winser, 22,(pic.middle) of Eldridge Court, Rouel Road, Rotherhithe and Michael Campbell, 25,(pic.bottom) of Jago Walk, Camberwell, were both sentenced to 14 years imprisonment for grievous bodily harm.

They were both cleared of murdering Daniel by an Old Bailey jury.

The pair’s cannabis factory based in a room at Winser’s flat had been burgled on several occasions by Daniel’s associates with plants, money and electrical equipment stolen.

Just before 2am Daniel walked past Winser's home unaware his ‘friends’ had broken in again earlier that evening.

The defendants and two other men chased Daniel through the back streets of Bermondsey, eventually catching up with him in a quiet residential road.

The chasing pack repeatedly and ferociously punched, kicked and stamped on his head as he lay on the ground defenceless and overwhelmed by his attackers; described by an eye witness as “like a pack of wolves.”

Daniel’s semi conscious body was pulled up from the ground by the scruff of his neck, a gun placed at the side of his head and he was shot at close range.

A passer-by in a car witnessed the beating Daniel suffered and tried to intervene, but fled in fear for her life after being threatened with a gun.

Daniel was rushed to the Royal London Hospital, where he died on August 18.

A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as a gunshot wound to the head.

It was recorded that Daniel’s head and brain injuries sustained in the attack could equally have resulted in his death.

The weapon was not found, but detectives believe it was originally a non-lethal weapon that had been converted to fire live ammunition.

Winser and Campbell were captured on CCTV leaving the scene of the crime and driving down the A21 via Hastings to Eastbourne to hide-out with relatives who gave police a bogus alibi.

Daniel's mother Androula Herbert, 48, said: “The death of my son has left me and my family devastated. I have lost a wonderful son and I will miss having him around everyday for the rest of my life.

“I miss our chats and our laughter. I miss our hugs. I miss him saying I love you mum. I miss the sound of his voice, which I worry that I am going to forget in time.

“My family and I will never get over this, but we will try to move on and cherish the time Daniel spent with us.

“The Herbert family cannot express enough our gratitude towards the police investigation team for all the hours of relentless work and dedication they have put in over the last twenty-one months. We are truly grateful.”

No comments: