Friday 8 July 2011

"Nothing To Do With Me" Claims Lawyer Accused Of Scam


A criminal defence solicitor, accused along with two legal associates of a £300,000-plus Legal Aid swindle, has told a jury: "It has nothing to do with me."


Solicitor Reuben Ewujowoh, 44, of Blythe Vale, Catford, boss of Rae and Co. of Trinity Street, Southwark denies falsely inflating every possible expense in relation to two Crown Court trials.


He told Croydon Crown Court his legal executive Lloyd McDonald, 68, received 40% of the bill and his costs draughtsman Robert Odong, 33, 5% - giving them a financial incentive to inflate costs.


Ewujowoh, McDonald, of Collins Avenue, Sutton In Ashfield, Nottinghamshire and Odong, of Bevin Court, Cruickshank Street, Islington have pleaded not guilty to two counts of conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation in relation to two criminal trials and Ewujowoh alone denies one alternative count of fraud in relation to the second trial.


It is alleged the three defendants plotted together between August 2 2007 and August 26 2008 to defraud Legal Aid in the case of Tsafack, which was heard at Leicester Crown Court and between July 30 2007 and August 26 2008 in the case of Rutayisere at Luton Crown Court.


The plot was exposed, the jury were told, by chance when the same Legal Aid determining officer happened to be working on claims for both trials.


"It is still a mystery to me why Tsafack was billed as category A," Ewujowoh told the jury. "I did not go to court or the prison visits and the train and taxi claims have nothing to do with me. Mr. McDonald was responsible for that.


"I put my hand up that I did not check the bill properly, but there was pressure of time and I was not well. I had high blood pressure and did not realise they were forgeries."


False claims could easily have also been made by Odong, insisted the solicitor. "He has access to all the case papers and the memory stick containing blank attendance notes."


Ewujowoh continued distancing himself from the fraudulent claims during a tough week in the witness box, which saw him reduced to tears.


"This is not my creation and I did not give anyone instructions to do this. I don't know how all this has happened."


The trial continues.............

No comments: