Tuesday 5 June 2012

Living The Champagne Lifestyle - The Croydon Way


An angry nightclub customer, who smashed a champagne bottle and used the shard to attack a man who had fallen into him, has dodged jailed with a suspended sentence.


Daniel Ewenighi, 25, of Waters Road, Catford fought outside the 'Shooshh' club, (pictured) Crown Hill, Croydon before returning with the improvised weapon, cutting the victim's ear as he lunged toward him.


He pleaded guilty at Croydon Crown Court to wounding scaffolder and amateur boxer Glen Bowden on August 7, last year and was sentenced to twelve months imprisonment, suspended for two years, and ordered to perform 300 hours community service.


Prosecutor Mr. Hamish Reid told the court the victim was in a smoking area outside the club at just before 2am and fell into the back of the defendant as he climbed the steep flight of stairs to re-enter.


Mr. Bowden told police later:"Even though I apologised he tried to grab hold of me and was up for a fight."


Bouncers split up and ejected the brawling pair, but Mr. Bowden explained how the confrontation escalated in the street.


"I heard shouting and saw him smash a large champagne bottle. He swung the broken bottle at me and as I got my arm up the bottle caught me on my left ear and by my neck."


The victim was rushed to Mayday A&E, where he receives six sutures to the wound.


Ewenighi was arrested on August 15 via driving licence details he had given entering the club.

No comments: