Wednesday 4 June 2014

Boyfriend Sentenced For St. Valentine's Day Hotel Room Assault



A Peterborough man spat at and kneed his distraught girlfriend twice in the face when a romantic Valentine's Day night at a Hyde Park hotel turned sour during a drunken row.

Self-employed home improvements contractor Robert Rough, 30, of Crowhurst jealously quizzed ex Rebecca Slater about her behaviour at a recent works Christmas party then attacked her in their fifth-floor room at Bayswater Road's Double Tree Hilton Hotel on February 15.


“We are not sending you to prison,” bench chairman Jeffrey Manton told the tearful father-of-one at City of Westminster Magistrates Court today. 

“You kneed someone in the eye, you spat at them and verbally abused them.


“That individual tried to defuse the situation by going outside with you for a cigarette, but you went back and had another go and you can imagine how frightening that was for the individual who went to hospital with bruising and swelling.


“This could have effected someone's eyesight for the rest of their life through your one drunken action.”


Prosecutor Miss Niki Powell told the court: “Police were called after staff received complaints from other guests and when the officers arrived Mr. Rough was in the lobby with his suitcase and was detained.


“He had been in a relationship with Miss Slater for a year and they had been arguing in the lobby and continued arguing in the room.


“She had been at a works do and Mr. Rough was asking her what she had been doing at the party and who she was with at the party and she was pushed against a wardrobe.”


The night manager came to their room to investigate the commotion, but Miss Slater assured him everything was fine and the pair went outside for a cigarette.

“When they returned Mr. Rough attacked her, pushing her to the floor and deliberately kneeing her twice in the right eye and spat at her while verbally abusing her.”


Rough pleaded guilty to assault on the basis of pushing Miss Slater, claiming the kneeing was accidental, but after a Newton hearing during which the visibly upset victim gave evidence the court ruled it was deliberate.


She said the pair had enjoyed a meal and were both drinking when the romantic mood soured. 

“He was becoming aggressive in the foyer and I did not know why and he followed me up to the room screaming and shouting and calling me names.”


He was calling me: 'slag' and everything and he was questioning me about my Christmas party and what time I got in.


“Rob attacked me, he smashed my head against the wardrobe. It was quite forceful. I had roses that Rob threw all over the room.


“He shoved me onto the bed and then shoved me onto the floor by force. He was on top of me, holding me down.


“He was manhandling me, he's a lot bigger than me. He was abusing me, spiting in my face, calling me names.


“He's then kicked me twice in the face,” added the tearful and petite Miss Slater.


Rough's lawyer Mr. Tom Flavin said: “This is an isolated incident that was unfortunate and regrettable. A temporary loss of self-control that was completely out of character.


“There was no pre-meditation, it resulted out of an argument and Mr. Rough left the incident when he was asked to do so.


“These offences occurred through drink and both Mr. Rough and the complainant had a large amount to drink that night and since this offence he has not touched alcohol.


“He is aware how serious this is and doesn't want a repeat in the future and in his pre-sentence report interview he was ashamed and emotional and is deeply ashamed and deeply regrets the incident.”


Rough was placed on a two-year community order, which includes a domestic abuse programme, was ordered to pay £500 compensation to Miss Slater, £195 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.


An indefinite restraining order was also made against Rough, prohibiting him having any contact with Miss Slater and visiting her Peterborough home.

No comments: