Monday 11 August 2014

Writer From Acting Dynasty Family Stalked Ex

Hugo Davenport: Restraining Order

An author and journalist from an acting dynasty family was sentenced today for stalking his ex at her exclusive gated Thames side apartment, after she dumped him following the death of his father.

Hugo Davenport, 61, of Ann's Close, Knightsbridge was still grieving after the loss of his father, Chariots of Fire star Nigel Davenport, who passed away in October, last year, aged eighty-five.

Hugo, whose half-brother is Pirates of the Caribbean star Jack Davenport, 41, also has an actress sister, Laura Davenport, 58, and he told Wimbledon Magistrates Court he expected more support from his ex-girlfriend.

He pleaded guilty to stalking Rebecca Jallott between March 30 and July 17 and pursuing a course of conduct that amounted to harassment and was was placed on an eighteen-month community order, which will includes a 'better relationships' programme.

She told police she was left "anxious, worried" by Davenport, particularly after he turned up at her home without warning, after receiving a police caution for harassing her, leaving her too scared to go outside or answer her door buzzer.

A five-year restraining order was also made, prohibiting Davenport contacting his ex and going to the address at William Hunt Mansions, Harrods Village, Barnes, where apartments in her building are currently on sale with an asking price of £2.6 million.

Davenport, who is listed in top-people's guide Debrett's, will now lose his pied-à-terre home of ten years, where his late-father was the sitting tenant.

Westminster public school-educated Davenport has written for the Daily Telegraph, Mail on Sunday, The Observer and penned a book for the BBC based on their series 'Days That Shook The World.'

"I'd like to say I'm very sad and sorry that a relationship that was once very close and very loving has ended like this," he told the court. 
No Go Hugo: William Hunt Mansions

"I have had difficulties over the last nine months, my father's death, even though it was not expected and Rebecca's decision to end out relationship.

"I had hoped I would receive some sort of support from her."

Prosecutor Mr. Claudius Taylor-Sonko said: "The defendant and the complainant were in a relationship for eighteen months and during the last six months the complainant realised it was not working and ended it.

"The defendant kept sending her messages saying she was the 'best thing that had ever happened in his life' and wanted the relationship to start again."

Ms Jallott complained to the police, who in March cautioned Davenport for harassment.

"However, he resumed, sending messages and packages, including letters and compact discs and Barclaycards," added the prosecutor. "He said he 'felt complete darkness in his life.'

"The defendant attended her address which caused her fear and the police were called and the defendant arrested."

In her statement Ms Jallott explained: "Due to the incident where Hugo came to my place it has left me feeling not safe, anxious, worried and not wanting to leave my home or answer the buzzer.

"It is effecting my quality of life and I am concerned Hugo's stalking has persisted.

"I have not contacted Hugo since January and I have not led him to believe it is okay to contact me and I have not asked for items to be sent or to attend my address.

"I can say that I am feeling harassed."

Davenport told the court: "I only rang on her doorbell because I was delivering something to a friend nearby and there was no letterbox.

"I had no indication there should be such an impact or feeling of fear.

"I now know all of these things and I bitterly regret my ill-considered actions and interpretations, which were because of my depression.

"This was someone I cared for very much, but now realise they don't want anything more to do with me and I'll abide by that."

District Judge James Henderson told Davenport: "I accept you are showing genuine remorse, but there was a degree of pre-planning and it was over a long period and on one occasion you went to her address."

He ordered Davenport to pay £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.

No comments: