Saturday 24 September 2016

Football Fan Sentenced For "Sparko" Punch That Felled Supporter

A Norwich man left a fellow football supporter “sparko” with a single punch after jostling between two groups leaving a tense Premier League match last season.

Stephen Best, 36, of Bahram Road, Costessey had just watched Chelsea FC's 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur when he lashed out.


He pleaded guilty at Hammersmith Magistrates Court to assaulting Christopher Gray outside Stamford Bridge stadium on May 2.


He was fined £350, with £85 costs and was ordered to pay the victim £200 compensation and a £36 victim surcharge.


The result of the night game finally ended Tottenham Hotspur's title ambitions.


In a statement Mr. Gray said: “We were sitting in the upper block and I left the ground with my son to catch a train home and we made our way towards Fulham Road.


“I was assaulted, but don't remember much about it. I suffered cuts to the left side of my jaw and received an x-ray.


“I had whiplash and my jaw was swollen and I had severe bruising to the side of my mouth. I was off work for three days.”


The victim's son, aged twenty-four, told police they were near the official Chelsea club shop.


“A guy barged into my dad deliberately and punched him in the face when asked: 'What are you doing?'


“My dad seemed to be out of it. He was struggling to breathe, I thought he was sparko.”


When questioned Best said he was with his seven year-old son and father and there was some “pushing and shoving” and he acted out of a sense of defending his group.


Magistrate Mr. Richard Duncalf told the first-time offender: “People at football matches are entitled to go home without being assaulted.


“You've lost your good character. Any more trouble at football matches and you will have a football banning order imposed and a much more serious sentence.”

No comments: