Wednesday 4 October 2017

Scot Denies Raping Drunken City Worker In Hotel Room After London Black-Tie Function

Paton Arriving At Blackfriars Crown Court
A City worker, who enjoyed an all-day brandy and wine celebration with office colleagues, claims she was raped in a visiting Scotsman’s hotel room at the end of the night, a court heard.

The 26 year-old claims she woke from the pub crawl to find Glasgow graduate William Paton, 30, having sex with her in his Holiday Inn room on March 4, last year.

Privately-educated Paton, who attended £12,00 a-year Hutcheson’s Grammar School and the University of Strathclyde, says the woman consented.

He has pleaded not guilty to one count of rape.

He had travelled down from his home in Fruin Avenue, Newton Mearns to attend an event hosted by a City of London livery company and met the woman while out drinking afterwards.

“The next thing I remember was being rocked and seeing someone there, I freaked out,” she told the Blackfriars Crown Court jury.

“I did not know if it was real or not and I remember crying in the toilet,” she added. “I scared myself that I could drink that much.”

She told the court she was “eight out of ten” on a scale of total inebriation, having started on cranberry juice at noon and progressing to double brandy and coke, plus wine.

“I know what I get like when I start too early,” agreeing she was ‘binge drinking’ that day. “I think a lot of people do my age, I don’t think I’m alone there.

“Before this happened and I was out I never wanted to go home. I just wanted to enjoy myself.”

Prosecutor Mr. Jonathan Loades told the jury after the lunchtime celebration the complainant continued drinking at The Dickens Inn, St. Katherine’s Dock and met Paton at The Dirty Martini, Bishopsgate.

She told the jury she regrets not catching the train opposite the bar and returning home to her long-term boyfriend.

The pair continued partying at Whites strip club, Aldgate, before going to Paton’s Whitechapel hotel, where they were filmed on CCTV.

“Exiting the lift she nearly falls into the flower pot. It is the Crown’s case she was very drunk at this point,” explained Mr. Loades.

“She next thing she remembers is being in her words: ‘Rocked.’ She felt herself rocking backwards and forwards as Mr. Paton was having sex with her.

“She did not know how he got there or what was going on and had one leg of her tights and one of her boots off.

“She pushed him off and went downstairs and bumped into a stranger, who seeing her distress call the police.”

Paton was arrested in Scotland, questioned in Carlisle and DNA linked him with the woman.

Trial continues………..

No comments: