Saturday 16 March 2019

Big Brother Star Repeatedly Punched By Beer Festival Pal

Gillman: "Flurry of blows"
Former Big Brother star Darnell Swallow was repeatedly punched to the back of his head by a drunken pal during an all-day beer festival drinking session.

New dad Luke Gillman, 35, of Queensland Road, Holloway was upset the reality star refused to visit his two month-old baby despite their twelve-year friendship and launched the attack.

“Gillman landed a tirade, a flurry of blows against Mr. Swallow,” prosecutor Mr. Charles Shelton told City of London Magistrates Court yesterday. “It was an attack from behind with several blows reigned down on the head.”

Partially-sighted Darnell, 37, told the trial he was not relaxed at Kensington Olympia’s Great British Beer Festival on August 11, last year.

“Up until the incident I’d say I was quite anxious. I believe Mr. Gillman may have been disappointed where our friendship was at.

“Luke was irritated and the point of escalation was when he arose, got up, came behind me and punched me in the head.

“I was discussing with him some personal problems in my life and how I admired where he had got in his life.

“I can remember multiple blows, mainly to the back and side of my head and afterwards he poured his beer on me.

Court Date: Swallow
“Instinctively I covered up. I was unsure what was happening and my next memory is of a glass being thrown at me and breaking.

“I was shocked and confused about what was happening and why it was happening.

“I had a cut on the back of my head and felt bruising.”

The Ipswich-born musician, who grew up in St. Louis, Missouri and finished fifth in 2008’s Series 9 of Big Brother, denied he was “aggressive.”

Darnell also denied saying: “F*** you and f*** your baby,” and throwing the first punch.

Gillman claims Swallow was agitated by his requests to see the new baby and told him: “Stop asking or I will stop you.”

They were sitting around a table with two other pals and the group had regularly attended the festival for a decade.

“There was an altercation and the defendant erupted in anger,” explained Mr. Shelton. “Gillman was offended that Mr. Swallow had not been around to see his new-born baby.

“There was no threat made by Mr. Swallow and the defendant had been drinking beer and cider all day.”

The pair had holidayed together and were described in court as “close friends,” but the relationship had soured.

When questioned by police Gillman said he had been “drinking all day” and had little recollection of the incident.

“He said he was blind drunk,” added Mr. Shelton, but did recall Darnell telling him: “I haven’t been around. What does that tell you?”

Gillman told the officers he expected to see Darnell down the pub to patch things up a couple of days later.

The magistrates rejected Gillman’s claim he acted in self-defence and found him guilty of assaulting Mr. Swallow.

He was fined £540, with £775 costs and ordered to pay a £54 victim surcharge.

No comments: