Monday 20 May 2019

Bus Pervert Went On Run After Groping Schoolgirl

Sleazy: Figueroa
A bus pervert, who went on the run for over three years after groping a 16 year-old schoolgirl’s bum, was caught boarding a flight to Madrid.

Construction worker Wilson Figueroa, 52, had been leering at the girl throughout her journey and stood closely behind as she exited, grabbing her rear on the packed service.

Ecuador-born Figueroa was traced and arrested, but denied the charge and failed to appear for his trial on December 1, 2015.

A warrant was issued for his arrest and he was stopped at Gatwick Airport on March 12, this year as he tried to board a plane.

Figueroa, of Saxby Road, Brixton Hill pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting the youngster on board a 53 bus in Woolwich on September 1, 2015.

He also admitted failing to surrender for his trial and today received a 12-month community order, which includes 200 hours community service work.

Figueroa must also complete a 15-day Recommended Activity Requirement, sign the sex offenders register for five years and pay £250 costs and an £85 victim surcharge.

In March, 2017 the Metropolitan Police Roads and Transport Policing Command circulated his mugshot during a media appeal to trace suspected bus sex offenders without success. 

Bexley Magistrates Court heard the victim turned and shouted: “What are you doing? Don’t touch me. 

“What are you doing you pervert? I’m going to call the police.”

Mug: Figueroa Was Eventually Caught
Figueroa was arrested two months later on October 29 and bus CCTV identified him tapping in with his Oyster card.

Prosecutor Ms Bina Morjaria told the court it was 6.25pm when Figueroa boarded the bus in Elephant and Castle and sat on the lower deck.

The girl boarded in Charlton and had to stand in the isle near him.

“She noticed the defendant was looking and smiling at her, but she ignored him.

“At Woolwich she moved towards the exit doors to get off and the defendant stood up behind her and grabbed her right buttock reasonably hard, which lifted the victim a bit.

“She turned and saw him standing behind her and when confronted Figueroa said: ‘I’m sorry’ and stuttered his words.”

Afterwards the girl told the police: ”The incident lasted a few seconds and it scared me, he should not have done it. I was on the phone to my friend as the time  and it was intense and scary.”

Figueroa says he was drinking daily “to excess” and because he had run out of epilepsy tablets took a “cocktail of natural holistic products” as a substitute.

He claims to also suffer anxiety and depression from childhood trauma.

The probation service found there was a “sexual motivation” for the offence and told the court Figueroa lacks awareness regarding the impact he had on the victim.

They ruled him a “medium risk” to lone females on buses and describe his behaviour as “predatory in nature.”

Figueroa, who needed a Spanish interpreter despite being in the UK five years, told the court: “I am very ashamed for what happened with the lady and wholeheartedly ask for her forgiveness.

“I have suffered epileptic attacks since I was eighteen years-old and my medication ran out here in London and that’s why I was travelling to Madrid, to get more medication.

“There was a time I hit rock bottom and I started drinking. I lost control of my own life and started sleeping rough in the parks and the street.

“My life is changing due to the Bible and I enjoy going to evangelical church. It takes me away from bad influences.”

No comments: