Sunday 1 May 2022

Guilty: Troubled Young Woman Caught On Southbank With Razor Blade

Croydon Magistrates' Court
A troubled young woman, who travelled to London to self-harm with a razor, has been convicted of possessing a blade in public.

Chiara Hudson, 23, told the trial she also threatened to throw herself in front of a tube train.

“I had come down to London to try and kill myself,” she told Croydon Magistrates Court, where she was convicted of possessing a bladed article in Southbank, Southwark on March 2.

Hudson, of Park Avenue, Shawbury, Shrewsbury was bailed to return to court for sentencing on May 16.

She had been locked-up since her arrest and was remanded in custody at HMP Bronzefield until the court bailed her at the conclusion of the trial on condition she live and sleep every night at her home address.

The trial heard Hudson was in possession of a three-and-a-half centimetre long razor blade broken into two pieces.

Police found her near the Royal Festival Hall at 1.15pm with superficial cuts to her arm, which she admitted were caused by a razor blade.

Hudson told the trial she had called the police herself after hearing they were looking for her.

“I got a call from the British Transport Police, saying they were looking for me all night and I then called the police to tell them where I was.

“The British Transport Police had calls from my Probation Officer saying I was missing and may have had a blade on me.

“I told them: 'I don't trust you. I don't want you near me. I'm fine.'

“Mentally I was not in a good place, I was suicidal.

“I was detained at Embankment Station by the police for threatening to jump in front of a train.”

The court heard police took Hudson into custody when she admitted having the blade.

She pleaded not guilty on the basis she had the reasonable excuse of self-harm for possessing the blade and prosecutor Corran Helm said: “The Crown will say this is not a reasonable excuse to carry a blade in public.”

PC Chris Lawrence told the trial: “She called the police and said she had a blade on her and wanted to harm herself.”

No comments: