Monday 17 April 2023

NOT GUILTY: British Blacklist Founder Cleared Of Windrush Day 'Assault'

Cleared: Acua Gyamfi
An ex-BBC Radio London producer has been cleared of an assault-that-never-was on a black activist during a £35,000 sponsorship row.

Acua Gyamfi, 46, who herself promotes black creatives, was found not guilty of assaulting Alisha Hall, 41, outside a Windrush Day celebration.

  

She founded The British Blacklist in 2012 and told City of London Magistrates’ Court: “It is a media platform showcasing the talents of black creatives across the arts. 


“A labour of love that turned into a massive media project.


“I was introduced to Alisha Hall in August, 2021 by two friends at the British Film Institute (BFI) because I was planning a lunch for black filmmakers at the London Film Festival.


“I was looking for sponsors and they were approached by Alisha, who offered to sponsor the BFI London Film Festival.


“She offered support by sponsoring the introductory soiree and my two BFI friends said: ‘She has approached us, she is sponsoring us.’


“Alisha agreed to be the sponsor of the lunch and she asked for invoices for the £35,000 agreed amount for the event at the NoMad Hotel, Covent Garden.”


The luxury hotel is housed in the converted former Bow Street Magistrates’ Court listed building.


The event proceeded on October 8, with Gyamfi paying £20,000 out of her pocket to secure the location, confident Hall’s sponsorship would be paid.


“She was the guest of honour because she was the main sponsor,” Gyamfi told the court. “She said the money would be paid in three days so I used my money to pay for the venue.


“That money was not paid and she was very apologetic and said it was Santander’s fault. I used my money, £20,000, with confidence that Alisha was going to reimburse me, but that did not happen.


“She said there was ‘account maintenance’ and then there were multiple emails from her saying: ‘The money is in your bank. The money will be in your bank.’

Alisha Hall


“I started to feel quite suspicious as to where the money was and she claimed to have gone to the bank with her legal team.


“In November I was suspicious that this money was not going to come and in January I told her I did not believe the money was going to come.”


Both women attended a Windrush Day celebration at the Film and TV Charity HQ in Golden Square, Soho on June 22, last year.


“I saw Alisha in the garden area and made a point to say ‘hello’ and she kind of gave me a dismissive ‘hello’ back,” explained Gyamfi.


“I wanted to speak to Alisha to clear up why the money had not been paid and I went over to her and said: ‘We should talk.’


“She said: ‘I don’t want to talk to you, I don’t have to. Go away,’ It surprised me and I was flustered.


“I said: ‘You owe me £35,000, you owe the BFI £200,000 and Rhapsody Media £38,000.’


“I was bemused at this point and didn’t understand why she did not want to engage in conversation. I thought I could appeal to her better nature. 


“She was saying: ‘Leave me alone, go away, I don’t have to talk to you,’ and she started to get more flustered.”


The court heard Hall began shouting: “Get my lawyer, get the police,” and told the event’s organiser Gyamfi was “harassing” her.


Gyamfi told her: “You call the police because I am asking you to confess, to come clean or apologise for not paying me.”


Hall’s mother Elain Roberts intervened, suggesting the complaint was a matter for solicitors.


“Alisha then sarcastically said: ‘She doesn’t have the money for a lawyer,’ and it got more irate between us.


“She was being very unapologetic and and was swearing at me, telling me to f*** off. She was creating a storm to make it look like she was the victim.


“Something inside broke my spirits so I started to cry and get upset and emotional, asking: ‘Alisha. Why are you being like this? Tell the truth and pay the money you owe me.


‘You have ruined my life and I owe my mum £19,000 because she bailed me out.’


“She continued to tell me to ‘f*** off’ and to leave her alone and go away.”


The court viewed CCTV of Gyamfi following Hall and her mother outside and down the street, but denied she clenched her fists to punch the complainant.


“There is no way I would have done this. It was more emotional hands and I was upset.


“I’ve not had a fight in my life and I had no intention ever of hitting her, especially with her mum being there and the event, that environment.


“That was never, ever something I would do or thought to do. I did not go to hit Alisha or intend to hit Alisha and her mother showed no fear of me.


“I was saying to her: ‘You have ruined my life. You f***ed up my life.’ I was embarrassed, very distressed, very emotional.


Prosecutor Sharon Michaels asked: “You clearly believed she owed you money and was trying to get out of it, yes? That she had scammed you and was basically a very dishonest person.


“You said she scammed you as a bogus sponsor, that she’s bogus and a scammer, yes?” suggestions Gyamfi agreed with from the witness box.


“You invaded her space didn’t you?” asked the prosecutor and referring to following Hall outside said: “That’s rather intimidating isn’t it?”


Gyamfi denied she was aggressive, but was just taking a rare opportunity to speak to Hall face to face.


“Communication had been going on for so long and it was my first chance. I was calm and thought I would appeal to her best nature.”


Describing Gyamfi’s behaviour on the CCTV footage Ms Michaels said: “You’re waving your hands around and Ms Hall is trying to get away from you and you are still following.


“We see you thrusting your hands out, flailing your arms. You are waving, flailing your hands in such a manner that a man in a blue suit and another man have to step in because of your behaviour.


“Her mother steps in to stop you trying to hit her daughter. You are clearly trying to hit her and if the mother had not stepped in you would have connected.”


Gyamfi said: “I didn’t throw any punches at Alisha. I did not stand in  a boxer’s stance.”


Her lawyer George Skinner said of Hall: “She has spun a web of lies. She did not fear an attack that day.


“Ms Gyamfi is a role model, an inspiring person that has built an impressive career and uses that to help others.


“In the circumstances of the £35,000 owed you may feel she was incredibly controlled,” he told the magistrates.


Gyamfi, of Ember Court, Emlyn Gardens, Shepherd’s Bush was found not guilty of assaulting Alisha Hall in Golden Square on June 22, last year.


“It is agreed there was an argument inside and outside the venue and you followed Ms Hall and her mother outside and at the time raised your arms,” announced bench Chairwoman Sneha Kooros.


“Ms Hall’s evidence was that during the event’s Q and A you deliberately sat behind her and her mother and approached her about money she owed you on multiple occasions.


“She said she was frightened and embarrassed and asked someone to call the police.


“You followed them across the road and she said that you told her you were going to ‘get her’ and she said she thought she was going to be hit by you and you circled around her with raised clenched fists.


“We feel you were credible and honest in giving evidence and were concise and plausible,” the magistrate told her. “Your actions did not amount to common assault.


“It was a heated conversation that could have gone wrong, but it didn’t.”

No comments: