![]() |
| Up On The Perpwalk: Gaynor arriving at court |
The 66 year-old musician, who played on the Scottish band’s biggest hits, including Number One ‘Don’t You (Forget About Me) appeared at Croydon Magistrates’ Court.
He was determined to fight the charge and argue the speed camera was not properly calibrated, but gave up when the prosecution produced evidence it was.
Balham-born Gaynor, of The Clock House, High Road, Byfleet pleaded guilty to driving his Alfa Romeo 159 at 41mph in a 30mph zone on August 3, last year in Green Wrythe Lane, Carshalton.
The court heard he was also banned for six months for speeding on the motorway on April 18, 2022; received six penalty points for motorway speeding on July 17, 2024 and another three points for speeding on August 27, last year.
Those nine points, plus the minimum Gaynor will receive for the latest offence make him subject to a six-month disqualification.
However, the veteran rocker will claim any disqualification will cost him ‘exceptional hardship’ and he will return to court to argue his case next year.
Gaynor drummed on hits including ‘Alive & Kicking’; ‘Glittering Prize’; ‘Waterfront’; ’Speed Your Love To Me’ and ‘Sanctify Yourself’.
“I’d like to say I’m not a dangerous driver, I am a safe driver,” Gaynor told the magistrates. “I have to take my grandson to medical appointments and school as well.”
Prosecutor Arama Thompson told the court it was 4.53pm when Gaynor was caught on the speed camera and he confirmed he was the driver when the notice of intended prosecution was sent to his address.
![]() |
| Don't You (Take A Picture Of Me): Gaynor outside court |
“I also have the calibration certificate that has been sent through from July, 2025 to July, this year.
Gaynor had originally claimed the speed camera must have been inoperative because his own in car sensor did not alert him to exceeding the speed limit.
Chairman Richard Hay didn't promise Gaynor any miracles and told him: “It has to be ‘exceptional hardship’. When you get to twelve penalty points you are liable to be disqualified.
“To go beyond that we need to see evidence and we will adjourn the case for you to bring your evidence of what you are going to be relying on to avoid getting disqualified.
“If you have great exceptional hardship you will not be disqualified.”



3 comments:
I think you will find their UK number 1 was Belfast child, not DYFAM. I am not sure Mel has thought the hardship thing through - having a vulnerable child in the car of a serial speed demon doesn't sound remotely sensible for a Magistrate.
I did not say DY(FAM) was a UK number One, but it was Number One in USA. That is the reference. There is a big world out there other than these islands.
Thanks for the clarification......and advice. If he gets a ban, perhaps Kerr and Burchill will write a protest song for him a la Mandela day or Biko. Alternatively, they could do a cover of Lionel's can't slow down.
Post a Comment