Monday 5 August 2013

Muslim Punched During Race-Hate Street Attack


A New Cross man, who admitted punching a Muslim in the stomach during a race-hate attack in a local street, is due to be sentenced later today.

John Coombs, 58, of Jerningham Court, Ommaney Road pleaded guilty last month to the racially aggravated assault of Bilal Jabbar in New Cross Road on May 27.


He confronted the victim in the street near his home address and shouted: “You're a Muslim bastard and you should leave my country.


“You killed my family. All you Muslim bastards should leave my country or convert to Christianity.”


Coombs then punched Mr. Jabbar in the stomach.


However, the defendant tried to back-track, insisting he is not a racist and only admitted the offence on the same day as murdered Army drummer Lee Rigby's funeral to bring the prosecution to a speedy conclusion.


"A particular drummer had died  and it was his funeral that day and I did not think it was a good day to cause any acrimony.

“I don't want to start any wars so I thought I would get it over and done with,” he told Bromley Magistrates' Court (pictured).


“I have a lot of Muslim and Pakistani friends.”

No comments: