Saturday, 10 June 2017

Dad Gets Suspended Sentence For "Metal Iron" Punch On Son After 'Boro's Play-Off Loss

Punch: Mark McKenna Sr.
A drunken father, who busted his teenage son’s jaw with a single punch after enduring Middlesbrough FC’s play-off final defeat two seasons ago, received a suspended prison sentence yesterday.

Off-shore oil rig scaffolder Mark McKenna ,46, decked Mark McKenna Jr., 18, with a blow the teenager compared to a “metal iron.”

The pair and other relatives had been on a 48-hour drinking binge, which continued in a pub near Wembley Stadium, where their team had just lost 2-0 to Norwich City.

McKenna, of Matford Avenue, Middlesbrough was convicted by a jury of inflicting grievous bodily harm on his son, who was left spitting blood, on May 25, 2015.

Sentencing him to 18 months imprisonment, suspended for 2 years, Wood Green Crown Court Recorder Harold Persaud said: “There is no doubt Mark annoyed and irritated you greatly, but you struck him in such a way that it fractured his jaw.

“He said it was like getting hit with a metal iron. That was some strike wasn’t it?

“Both of you were under the influence of alcohol, having been drinking since you arrived in London the day before.”  

McKenna Sr. claimed he was the peacemaker during the family’s post-match drinking session and was leading his son away from a row with his cousins.

“He expresses deep remorse and says he feels terrible that he had to hit his own son and it kills them both to this day,” explained his lawyer Mr. Daniel Jones.

Fractured Jaw: Junior
“Mr. McKenna senior says their relationship now is: ‘Brilliant.’ His son says his father has helped him with his scaffolding qualification and says his own anger issues contributed to this offence.”

The court heard it is not the first time the defendant has been in trouble. “He’s not a man of good character, in the past there are serious offences of violence,” said prosecutor Mr. Edward Lewis.

Doctors later discovered McKenna Jr’s jaw was fractured in two places and the teenager had been brawling all weekend with family members and had a pre-trip fight.

McKenna Sr. told police he had nine beers that day and intervened outside a pub when his son attacked his cousin Sam just before midnight.

He says his son then turned on him and McKenna Sr.’s father, Derek, 65, had to step in. “He attacked me and his grandad had to drag him off.

“I think I hit him back for hitting me, the top of his head, it was not hard. I was angry for him attacking me, there was no need for it.”

McKenna Sr. insists this blow could not have fractured his son’s jaw because it was aimed at the top of his head and didn’t knock him over.

Earlier McKenna Jr. reluctantly gave evidence and confirmed he had a fight in Middlesbrough on the eve of the trip that left his face swollen.

He had five or six cans of beer before the match and was angry with Sam. “He was winding me up and intimidating me, saying he was going to boot some respect into me.”

McKenna Jr. had three fights with Sam on the matchday, decking him twice and wanted to continue brawling when his father split them up.

He admitted punching his father, almost knocking him over, and “squaring up” as his dad tried to lead him away.

“I wanted him to get out of the way to get to Sam,” McKenna Jr. told the jury, admitting he was ready to strike his father again.

A passing police officer watched the confrontation and witnessed McKenna Sr. decking his son with a single blow.

Recorder Persaud also ordered a tearful McKenna Sr. to attend thirty-six days of rehabilitation, which will include ten days of a specific activity requirement.

“The offence is two years old and there has been no offending since that time,” he told McKenna Sr. “If I imposed a custodial sentence old wounds that have healed may be reopened again.

“That fact weighs with me and is in your favour.”

No comments: