Wednesday 25 December 2019

Major Christmas Day Police Investigation Into Overnight Battersea Death

A major police investigation is taking place in Battersea today
after a body was found in the road on Christmas Eve night.

Officers stood guard over the unidentified person, who was covered in a white sheet, until a police forensics tent was erected in the early hours of the morning and a police cordon remains.

The Metropolitan Police have not yet issued a statement on the incident.

Residents of Battersea Church Road, where properties sell for an average of £1.2m, woke up on Christmas Day to find the major crime scene outside their homes.

A section of the road was closed at approximately 10.00pm on December 24 and a policewoman stood near the covered body for much of the evening.

One local resident, a 70 year-old retired Lloyds reinsurance underwriter, whose £1.5m home overlooks the scene said: “The police told me a serious crime had taken place.”

The gent, who did not want to be identified, said he only discovered the crime scene when walking his cocker spaniel Jessie at approximately 10.30pm last night.

“There was police tape along the end of my road, Paveley Drive, at the junction of Battersea Church Road and I thought somebody had been run over,” he explained.

“Cars bomb along here at 50mph in a 20mph zone, but the police told me it was nothing like that so I think somebody has been stabbed or something.

“I am still suffering from being attacked in my front garden over three years ago. This area isn’t safe anymore and I’ve put my house on the market.”

The body remains at the scene and residents are being allowed to drive through the police cordon if they need to get away on Christmas Day.

No comments: