Thursday 22 April 2021

Early-Morning Crack Smoker Caught By Cops

A crack user caught by police smoking with a group in public told officers: “I'm just having a pipe with the lads,” a court heard.

Jobless Christopher Newton, 49, who claims he served in the British Army, says he suffers with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and uses drugs to treat himself.

He had travelled down from his home in Hornsey Road, Liverpool to Brixton, south London, where he was arrested.

Newton pleaded guilty at Croydon Magistrates' Court to possessing Class A crack cocaine in Bernay Road on April 3.

Prosecutor Amanda McCabe told the court it was 9.25am when plain-clothes police officers driving in the local area saw Newton amongst a group of approximately five males.

“When the officers approached him he was aggressive and swore and tried to walk away and was difficult with the officers.”

Eventually Newton admitted: “I've got crack cocaine on me. I'm just having a pipe with the lads.”

He admitted buying the crack for £500.

The court heard Newton has thirty-five previous convictions, including three drug offences.

He told the magistrates: “I was smoking some cocaine with some mates in Brixton and it seemed the police were just out for me.

“I had a PTSD episode and use it to self-medicate and I've not had any since.

“I don't want to be Mother Teresa'd. I don't want to be looked after.

“I am a grown man, I eat well.

“I was involved in a bombing aged twenty-one and have not been the same since.

“Why didn't you look after me when I was in Ireland and in the jungle? Nobody gave a shit.”

After hearing Newton remained in police custody for at least eleven hours the court fined him £50, with the alternative of time served, leaving Newton with nothing to pay.

No comments: