Tuesday 6 July 2021

100% Innocent: Three HMP Belmarsh Officers Cleared Of Assault

Rejected Evidence: Costa
Three HMP Belmarsh prison officers were cleared today of beating a brain-damaged inmate as he tried to throttle himself with a pair of jogging bottoms.

The trio were all reported by a fourth colleague, who gave a statement to police and evidence in court.


They are: Tracey Ferrari, 46; Ian Henderson, 65 and Andrew Morrison, 36.


After a trial at Bromley Magistrates’ Court they were all found not guilty of assaulting prisoner Ibrahim Noor at top-security HMP Belmarsh on June 26, last year.


The fourth prison officer, Dailcio Costa, told the trial he was working at the prison’s Health Care Unit, but struggled in giving evidence regarding the equipment he was using and details of the inmate’s cell.


He and the three defendants were returning Noor to his cell from a video link suite at 10am.


“I heard a commotion behind me and the officers had rushed into the cell,” he told the court. “I saw officer Morrison holding the prisoner and punching the prisoner, they were beating the prisoner.


“Officer Ferrari was throwing punches and officer Henderson was also throwing punches.


“Officer Morrison was punching and kneeing and it looked like he was very upset and angry and officers Ferrari and Henderson were also throwing punches.

Not Guilty: Henderson & Morrison


“Officer Morrison was holding the jogging bottoms and said: ’There’s no need for paperwork,’ and the prisoner was on his bed, looking dazed and confused, saying he was sorry.


“Officer Ferrari said he had tied his jogging bottoms around his neck.


“I was shocked and trying to work out what to do.


“The events were in my mind and I approached my senior manager to report what happened and he was shocked and told me I had to submit a report.


“It was a sensitive thing and I thought I would speak directly to the Governor, via email.


“After reflecting over the weekend the events did bother me and I decided to submit the report.”


When cross-examined officer Costa admitted failing to disclose a previous police caution he received for assaulting an emergency worker when applying for his prison officer job.


Not Guilty: Ferrari

He denied a defence suggestion he was not telling the truth to the court, explaining; “It took me three days to reflect if I should go ahead and report my colleagues.


“It has not been easy since I made that report and I don’t think I have made anything up.”


Noor was subjected to a medical examination, but no injuries were found on his body consistent with an assault.


When questioned by the police Henderson said: “He tried hanging himself,” and insisted “no force” was used against the prisoner.


Morrison also told police he used no force and entered the cell because Noor was using his jogging bottoms as a ligature.


Ferrari said she only entered the cell to retrieve a t-shirt from Noor, who needed to wear ‘anti-ligature’ clothing.

No comments: