Monday 4 October 2021

Trainee Solicitor Accused Of Rape And Sex Assaults At House-Warming

A trainee solicitor raped a drunken law student at a house-warming hosted by a new work colleague before molesting another young woman snoozing on the couch, a court heard today.

Graduate Tom Hagyard, 29, who had just started at a commercial law practice in the City of London, was invited to the get-together at the Fulham two-bedroom flat by another female trainee.


Isleworth Crown Court heard the 26 year-old rape complainant passed out fully-clothed “nine or ten out of ten drunk” on the host’s bed in the early hours and woke to find a stranger raping her.


Hagyard, of Fylde Road, Southport has pleaded not guilty to one count of raping the law student at the £700,000 Fulham Road address in west London on October 15, 2017, plus two counts of assault by penetration.


He has also pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexually assaulting the second young woman, also 26, later that same evening as she slept on the living-room couch.


The first woman told the jury via her video-recorded police interview she had wine, Prosecco and vodka that night.


“We got very drunk and I don’t remember a lot. I took myself to bed and I woke up and there was a boy sort of on top of me,” she said.


“I was going in and out of consciousness and did not think I could move. I froze a bit, I didn’t fight him off or anything.


“I remember trying to push him away. I was staring at the wall for a while.


“I felt very drunk, nine or ten out of ten drunk. I kept my eyes closed for a bit and I remember feeling confused.


“He was on top of me and I was in pain. I felt like I could not move or fight him off and my memory goes in and out, I have flashes.”


Prosecutor Richard Job told the jury the trainee solicitor host invited people from work, plus her old school and university and drinking and dancing continued into the early hours.


The law student passed out fully-clothed alongside the host in her bed at around 3am.


“She woke up to find a man on top of her, but wasn’t sure who he was. That man was the defendant,” explained the prosecutor.


“The man was on top of her and having sex with her and her underwear had been pulled to one side.


“She was confused and felt unable to fight the man off her. She was passing in and out of consciousness.


“She attempted to push him away and then passed out.


“She had never met or spoke to the man before. She did not consent to any sexual contact, she could not have because she was asleep.”


Shortly afterwards Hagyard turned his attention to the second young woman, who was sleeping on the couch, the court heard.


“She had also had a bit to drink and was sleeping in her clothes. She was woken at 5.30am by someone touching her chest.


“The top of her bra had been pulled to one side and a man’s hand was on her breast. She felt his mouth next to her ear and the words: ’Shush. It’s okay.’


“He was crouched by her and having touched her breast he moved his hand to her belt and began to undo the buckle.


“She was scared and and she got up and went quickly to the host’s bedroom.”


The young woman later texted friends that she had been “sexually assaulted” at the party and messaged the host: “He was literally sucking on my earlobe.”


When the host confronted Hagyard via text about his behaviour to both woman, he responded: “It was a drunken, stupid mistake and I can’t say sorry enough. I misunderstood what people were thinking.”


He was quickly reported to the police, who did not order any DNA testing and was questioned two days later.


“He accepted sexual contact with both women, but denied rape,” said Mr Job. “Regarding the first complainant he said he thought she wanted sexual contact with him.


“He stated that she was a willing and enthusiastic partner.”


Afterwards, Hagyard explained he went to the kitchen for a glass of water and tried to wake up the gust sleeping on the couch.


“She appeared less than enthusiastic so he stopped.”



Trial continues……………

No comments: