Monday 6 February 2023

Neighbour Guilty Of Harassing Married Couple

Guilty: Omar Yasin aka 'Mark'
A neighbour harassed the couple living opposite him - shouting at the wife: “Show me your knickers,” and spraying the words ‘Liar’ in shaving foam over their car, a court heard.

Omar Yasin, 60, also followed her to work, screamed in the husband’s face and asked him: “Are you getting enough? I can help you out with your wife.”


Disabled Yasin, of Station Road, Hampton was convicted of harassing Alistair Patterson and Katerina Kim in August and September, last year and will be sentenced next month.


He was also found guilty of two counts of displaying writing, with intent to cause harassment, on September 20, last year in the carpark outside the couple’s Station Road apartment.


Katerina told Wimbledon Magistrates Court trouble started when the defendant - who she knows as ‘Mark’ - spotted her visiting sister changing in her son’s bedroom.


“Mark saw her in her underwear and on the same day he went to see Alistair to say he saw me in my underwear and would be going to see me at work at Waitrose.


“I was panicking as to why he would want to say he saw me in my underwear.”


The next day Yasin turned up at the busy store. “I ran to the back and he followed me and I shouted at him: ‘Stop following me,’ I was nervous and scared.


“I wondered why he would follow me for three days and my manager told me: ‘He is mental, aggressive, not stable. We are not dealing with him, we are going to call the police.


“I still do not know why he is doing this to me.”


She recalled another incident on September 10, outside her block. “I was passing our parking spot and he shouted: ‘Show me your knickers.’


“I thought he was becoming dangerous, that he could rape or harm me.”


On September 20 Yasin sprayed the couple’s vehicle with shaving foam. “He sprayed the word ‘Liar’ all over the car.


“I felt like it was a horror movie. It was horrible to see, I was shaking.


“I don’t feel free going out. I always look behind myself, I can’t escape him. He is always there, he is always watching me.”


Alistair confirmed he once had a friendly relationship with Yasin, who was a walking companion during lockdown. “Mark lives on the top floor of the next-door block and the flats look at each other.


“He complained to me about my wife’s behaviour because there was an incident at Waitrose and he saw a person at our window in underwear that he thought was my wife.


“He referred to my wife as ‘filth’ and I was shocked. He was clearly following our comings and goings from his window and followed my wife three times to Waitrose.


“He once called down to me: ‘Are you getting enough? I can help you out with your wife.’


“I assumed this was a sexual context and I was in shock,” Alistair told the trial. “I told him I was not having this conversation and got in my car and left.”


On August 27 Yasin aggressively confronted the husband. “He dashed across the road and cornered me and put his face alongside mine and was shouting at me.


“He was very aggressive, very unpleasant. He said he was humiliated by my wife who shouted at him in Waitrose.


“He repeated the underwear story and refused to believe it wasn’t my wife.


“He mentioned that my wife was lovely and repeated a story of when he first saw us together  and I was the most horrible thing he had ever seen.


“He said I should control my wife and that he would box my ears, repeating: ‘You don’t want me as your enemy,’ and that he wanted me out of my home.”


Yasin admitted making clucking chicken noises from his flat window when he saw Alistair and the husband added: “He shouted out that I was effluent and a coward.


“One day he was spraying my car with the word ‘Liar’ with shaving foam, while wearing his Army combat gear, which he regularly does.


“I felt unsafe and I was not sleeping well, but I stuck to my normal routine because I did not want to be beaten by it.


“He did say he enjoyed the process of harassing us.”


Yasin denied threatening violence or making lewd comments to Katerina, saying he had lived in the flat for seventeen years, often chatting to the couple from the roof of his building.


“The first I knew about it was when Katerina shouted at me in the shop. I stepped back in disbelief and dismay and walked out of the shop.


“I was confused and a little bit peeved. All of a sudden I am unwelcome at the local supermarket and the neighbours became most unwelcome.


“They came to my landlord and told him to get rid of me.”


Yasin admitted foaming the couple’s car. “I put shaving foam on the car as a protest,” he told the court.


“Waitrose eventually gave me a barring notice. I felt at an absolute loss, I had nowhere else to go.


“I never followed Katerina or any member of her family, ever.”

No comments: