Sunday 17 November 2013

Violent Punch-Up After QPR v Ipswich Town Match


An Ipswich Town supporter, who battled in the street with a rival fan – landing eleven blows as police struggled to separate the pair – has been banned from matches for three years.

Construction site manager James Ballantyne, 36, of Church Road, Friston, Saxmundham, Suffolk pleaded guilty to affray outside QPR's ground on August 17, but claimed he is not a follower of the club.


Hammersmith Magistrates' Court heard it was approximately 5pm when a home fan approached Ballantyne and his group aggressively in South Africa Road following QPR's 1 – 0 win.


“CCTV shows that a fight breaks out and Mr. Ballantyne threw eleven punches, which landed on either the head or body of the other man,” said prosecutor Mr. Martin Edwards.


“The QPR fan, who was also arrested, threw approximately eight punches, but Mr. Ballantyne, the much bigger of the two, started to get the better of him.


“Police officers moved in to break up the fight that was now on the floor, but that did not deter the two men continuing to try to get at one another and the officers used batons and distraction punches.”


Police later questioned the defendant. “He said he did not know the area and that is why he was lingering outside the ground and he admitted that he threw punches.”


Ballantyne, who has convictions for assault and threatening behaviour told the court: “I did not initiate the fight and I had gone to the match with some close friends that I used to play football with.


“I don't support Ipswich, but I admit that when I was attacked I went too far and I used excessive force to defend myself.


“I should keep my job as long as I don't go to prison and I am the sole provider for my family.”


District Judge Elizabeth Roscoe sentenced Ballantyne to 200 hours community service and ordered him to pay £80 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.


“This was a nasty incident and fortunately it did not escalate into a larger fight involving twenty, thirty, forty people and you did not stop when the police arrived. It was unwarranted.”

No comments: