Tuesday 22 January 2013

Footballer Groped Nightclub Girls, Jury Told


A footballer pulled down a nightclub girls's top and groped her breasts - punching her in the face when she objected - and slapped her friend's bum, a jury were told today.

Ex-Crystal Palace FC pro Nathaniel Pinney, 22, of Leybourne Court, Manor Road, South Norwood had pulled down the 23 year-old woman's top twice earlier in the evening at Sutton's Wonderland nightclub, Croydon Crown Court heard.

Prosecutor Miss Shahnaz Ahmed said: "The first complainant was sexually assaulted and hit in the face by this defendant and he also sexually assaulted the second complainant.

"He did not know either of these girls. He denies sexually assaulting them, but accepts during the course of the evening he hit the first complainant around the face."

It was a crowded free-entry night at the Cheam Road club, where the girls were drinking and enjoying themselves.

"He went up to her and pulled down her top and exposed her and she told him to leave her alone," explained Miss Shahnaz. 

"He did it again. He pulled her top down and exposed her bra and then did it a third time and pulled her bra down and placed his hands on her breasts.

"He continued by slapping her friend on the bottom.

"A fight broke out and he hit the first complainant in the face."

Pinney, a product of Palace's celebrated youth system, was released by the club last summer and now plays in Ryman's Premier Division for Carshalton Athletic.

He was followed down the street to a kebab take-away by a bouncer and identified to police.

He was arrested and questioned at Sutton Police Station.

"He denied sexually assaulting these girls," said Miss Ahmed.

The woman, who says Pinney pulled her top down three times, told the jury the first incident occurred as she chatted with a friend in the club.

"I felt a hand grab my top and pull it down the full length of my cleavage," she explained. "It was a passer-by as they were walking past.

'I did say: 'F*** off,' but I don't know if the person heard it."

She complained to the club's bouncers, who promised to "sort it," but shortly afterward the same thing happened again.

"I saw the same guy and he grabbed me in the same manner as the first time.

"It scared me a bit because I was not prepared for it. He just laughed.

"He grabbed me a little bit harder and got the whole breast out and grabbed it and held it. It hurt."

The tearful witness added: "He grabbed from the side and moved the bra down. It was my right breast.

"I pushed his hand away and went back to my friends.

"We went to talk to him and his friends were around and he hit me with an open hand and then I was hit in the head two or three times.

"It really hurt. He hit me for no reason."

Pinney has pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting the young women, but has admitted a charge of common assault against the first complainant and will be sentenced at the conclusion of the trial.

Trial continues…………

No comments: