Saturday 26 January 2013

Footballer Punched Nightclub Girl After Double Grope Accusation


A footballer, who slapped an punched a young nightclub woman, who accused him of pulling down her bra and groping one of her breasts was fined £200 yesterday.

Ex-Crystal Palace FC pro Nathaniel Pinney, 22, of Leybourne Court, Manor Road, South Norwood was alleged to have pulled down the 23 year-old woman's top twice earlier in the evening at Sutton's Wonderland nightclub, Croydon Crown Court heard.

Pinney, a product of Palace's celebrated youth system, was released by the club last summer and now plays in Ryman's Premier Division for Carshalton Athletic.

He was cleared by the jury of sexually assaulting the woman and her friend, who he was accused of slapping on the bottom, but had already pleaded guilty to common assault after being caught on the club's CCTV on August 7, last year.

"You slapped her once and you punched her once and on the basis of the jury's verdict you had been accused of something you had not done," Judge Peter Gow QC told Pinney.

"There was an element of provocation in what you did and I take into account the remorse you showed during your evidence.

"You described it as a stupid over reaction. Mr. Pinney ensure that if you find yourself in a similar situation again you control yourself."

The woman, who says Pinney pulled her top down three times, told the jury the first incident occurred as she chatted with a friend in the club.

Pinney told the court he was the victim of mistaken identity and did not sexually assault either woman, but admitted lying to police about slapping and punching the first complainant.

He told the jury he downed seven glasses of wine during the evening, explaining: "I was tipsy. I was not drunk off my face.

"I was chilling with my friends and this girl came over accusing me and calling me every name under the sun, saying I've done this and that.

"She accused me of taking out her breast and palming it with my hand. I told her: 'Listen, you've got the wrong person. I haven't touched you.'

"I was upset and angry at someone coming out of the blue and accusing me of things," Pinney told the court. "I wanted to have a good night, but it was ruined 'cos of these allegations.

"That's when I lost my head and took it a bit too far and slapped her face.

"She hit me on the chest and I reacted stupidly and hit her again, once."

When quizzed by police Pinney told them: "I don't record hitting no girl 'cos I'm not like that."

He eventually admitted the crime after viewing the damning CCTV evidence.

No comments: