Thursday 17 January 2013

Kosher Restaurant Staff Cleared Of Beating-Up Disgruntled Diner

Cleared: Aziz Hassan & Khalid Hassan

A manager and waiter at the West End's only kosher restaurant, accused of attacking a Jewish customer who complained about a £3.50 surcharge and compulsory tip, were cleared by a jury yesterday.

The customer claimed he was picked up and thrown into the gutter outside – banging his head on the bonnet of a parked car – before being repeatedly stamped on the head and face.

Aziz Hassan, 57, and Khalid Hassan, 28, were found not guilty of assaulting Amiel Menachem Elkus, causing him actual bodily harm, outside Reuben's, Baker Street, on July 11, 2011.

When quizzed by police Aziz insisted he thought the customer was trying to flee the resturant without paying for his meal.

Hendon resident Mr. Elkus told Croydon Crown Court he was careful not to exceed the £30.00 limit his employers give him for meals when he ordered Beef Wellington at the resturant.

“The bill was for £38.95, which I was surprised about. I was expecting it to be around £30 because I have an allowance from work, which is £30.

“I was surprised and asked the waiter to explain the bill and he said it was for extras and said it was on the menu.

“There was a further charge for £3.50 and an extra £5ish for service.

“I had not had any extras and the waiter, who had been surly, became very aggressive and said: 'You are not leaving without paying.'

“I expected to only be paying for what I had eaten.”

The customer demanded to see the manager and the waiter, Khalid Hassan, blocked the entrance.

“I felt very threatened and trapped so I tried to push past him and I was bundled outside,” exlained Mr. Elkus.

“I had my legs lifted off the ground and my head hit a car that was parked outside. I was bundled out of the resturant and pushed down.

“I was pinned down on the road. One person had his foot on my arm and the waiter was kneeling on my ribs.

“I was completely blown away by what happened after simply questioning a bill. They proceeded to beat the hell out of me.”

Explaining Aziz's actions Mr. Elkus added: “He stomped on my eye with his Timberland boots.

“I was in shock and screaming at people: 'Get them off me.' I couldn't breathe, I was seeing stars.”

The prosecution say Khalid was also bending Mr. Elkus's fingers back.

“I told the waiter: 'You're breaking my fingers' and he said: 'I don't care.'

“The other man left a footprint on me. He was stamping on my face.

“My kippah had come off in the restaurant, I had severe bruising to my eyes and a cut lip that was caused by stomping.

“I also received scratches to my head from the road surface.”

The jury were shown CCTV footage of the incident and Mr. Elkus told them: “I am where that animal is stomping on my head near the car.

“It is not quite what you would expect for questioning a £3.50 charge.”

No comments: