Monday 8 September 2014

Overnight Guest Cleared Of Rape

Singh: Not Guilty

An overnight guest has been cleared of raping his host – his pal's girlfriend – in the early hours, after being invited to share her single bed.

Robin Singh, 25, of Station Road, Cromer, Norfolk claims the pair had consensual sex after the woman's boyfriend decided to go back to his own home because he was suffering a headache.


“Never. That is a blatant lie,” she shouted via a videolink at Isleworth Crown Court. “No I didn't, ever.”


Singh was found not guilty by the jury of raping the woman, aged in her thirties, at her Hayes, Middlesex flat on July 4, 2011.


However, the court did impose a twelve-month restraining order on Singh.

They heard the woman's boyfriend invited himself over to her flat and brought Singh along as well.


She later told police: “This guy really creeped me out. He made me feel really uncomfortable.”


Her boyfriend left the flat to buy a pizza for all of them, but called to say he would continue on his way home because he had a headache.


This left the complainant and defendant alone in the flat watching a dvd until the woman invited Singh to sleep in her room.


She told the court her sofa bed was too messy and too difficult to pull out and it was more convenient for Singh to sleep back to back with her.


“All I remember is hitting his hand away,” she told the court, denying she instigated or encouraged any “kissing” or “hugging” between the pair.


The woman insisted Singh then raped her and kissed her goodbye at 8am in the morning, leaving her: “Disgusted and frightened for my life.”


The defendant also gave her his phone number, which she said left her: “Terrified, sick and paranoid.”


She said her boyfriend then bombarded her with threats over the next couple of days. “He was threatening my life basically.


“I was so upset, I was in tears and going through a nervous breakdown and feared for my life.


“I have changed my number and moved since then. I was terrified of even sleeping in that flat.”


She confided with her neighbours and they called the police two days later in the early hours of July 6.

No comments: