Sunday, 28 December 2014

Notorious Activist Banned From Campaigning Against Policewoman Who Nailed Him

Self-Styled 'Whistleblower' O'Callaghan
A notorious activist, who waged a decade-long harassment campaign against two respected doctors, has received a restraining order prohibiting him continuing his latest cause against the policewoman, who successfully investigated him.

Disabled Paul O'Callaghan, 39, of Granville Road, Eastbourne mailed multiple copies of a petition he drafted to forty police stations all over London, Kent and West Sussex asking officers to sign their support for the dismissal of WPC Lisa London.

He did not attend Bromley Magistrates Court, where prosecutor Miss Louise Thomas explained the fresh investigation was prompted by a four-page handwritten document posted second class and received at Gipsy Hill Police Station, Crystal Palace on May 8.

The document could be described as a rant against both the NHS and Lisa London, who he said perverted the course of justice and described himself as a 'hero' and 'whistleblower.'

He asked police officers to sign his petition supporting the sacking of Lisa London and included a stamped address envelope.

The petition was hand-signed by Paul O'Callaghan and images of Lisa London taken from a Metropolitan Police web without permission were included.

He was interviewed and admitted sending the documents.”

When quizzed by officers O'Callaghan claimed: “She should be kicked out and I should be able to join the police.......She was fitting me up.”

The magistrates made the indefinite order, which prohibits O'Callaghan from obtaining, storing, distributing or communicating via media information in relation to Lisa London.

He is also banned from contacting the officer and must not distribute any signs or writings that are harassing or distressing or enter the London Borough of Bromley without a pre-booked medical or legal appointment.

O'Callaghan had pleaded not guilty to harassing Lisa London on or before July 11, but the charge was dropped by the prosecution on the day of the trial.

The officer had led the investigation and successful prosecution of O'Callaghan for circulating leaflets calling for the “punishment”, “retribution” and “execution” of named medics, who he also secretly recorded and filmed during consultations.

He receives disability living allowance for his chronic vestibular disorder, which effects his balance, and in August, last year received 18 weeks imprisonment, suspended for twelve months and ordered to obey an electronically tagged night time curfew between 8pm and 6am for ten weeks.

He was also made subject to a five-year restraining order, which prohibits him from displaying any sign that could cause harassment or distress to NHS staff and was ordered to pay £300 costs at the rate of £10 per fortnight.

O'Callaghan was convicted at Greenwich Magistrates' Court of two counts of harassment against Dr. Jennifer Quirke and Dr. David Golding-Wood between August 19, 2003 and November 20, 2012.

The self-styled founder of the 'British Unicorn Party' was also convicted of two counts of communicating threatening messages between October 1, 2004 and November 20, 2012 and November 16 and 20, 2012.

O'Callaghan had been receiving treatment at the Princess Royal University Hospital, Orpington and circulated his leaflets throughout the London Borough of Bromley – the local authority the hospital is located in.

When convicted he told the bench magistrates: “I'm going to have you executed. I am going to have the three of you killed when I seize control of this country.”

His defence to the charges were that the leaflets were merely British Unicorn Party political manifestos, even though some were titled: “Doctors of Evil”, “Fifteen Year Wait For Treatment” and “We Make Complete Cock-Ups On A Regular Basis.”

Leaflets were pushed through Dr. Quirke's front door and the letterboxes of other hospital staff, who told police they found them: “Extremely nasty, extremely malicious and extremely slanderous.”

They included images of Dr. Quirke the defendant had secretly recorded during appointments and included a series of claims against both doctors.

Ear, Nose and Throat specialist Dr. Golding-Wood only saw O'Callaghan once ten years ago and referred him to the world-leading National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.

I received everything from a single sheet A4 document to thirty-two pages, some of which contained somewhat threatening and disparaging material,” he told the court.

The author became more robust and used the words punishment, retribution and execution. I was extremely concerned and threatened.”

The two doctors formed the view that the defendant had become completely obsessed with the disorder and Dr. Golding-Wood found the literature threatening and distressing.

Dr. Quirke said the defendant was extremely hostile during their meeting and leaflets saying that she should be executed were distributed all over the borough.

The doctor also made a victim impact statement, explaining: “I was obviously targeted and letters were distributed at my place of work and through my front door.

My life was threatened, he said that we should be killed. I felt extremely vulnerable in my home and was concerned that he knew where I lived.”

No comments: