Thursday 14 February 2019

Drunk Newcastle United Yob Threw Plastic Beer Bottle At Young Crystal Palace Star

Court In The Act: Mahoney
A drunken football yob, who threw a plastic Carlsberg bottle at young Crystal Palace star Aaron Wan-Bissaka, hopes his ambition to became a Prison Officer will not be effected by the conviction.

Floor layer Anthony Mahoney, 31, had consumed a dozen beers while travelling with Newcastle United supporters for their away match in south London.

The green bottle he hurled from the Arthur Waite stand at Selhurst Park made contact with the highly-rated right-back, who fortunately received no injury.

The incident was caught on camera and was circulated on social media, leading to the identification of Mahoney, who was so drunk he doesn’t remember it.

Mahoney, of Stephenson House, Stephenson Street, North Shields, Tyne and Wear pleaded guilty today to throwing a missile onto a football playing area on September 22, last year.

He claims to be more of a rugby fan, saying the 0-0 Premier League fixture was the first match he ever attended and District Judge Julie Cooper rejected the prosecution’s application for a football banning order.

Prosecutor Mr. Jason Seetal told Croydon Magistrates Court: “The defendant attended with Newcastle United fans and during the second half he threw a bottle onto the pitch that hit one of the players, Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

“Fortunately that player was not injured and the bottle was removed from the pitch.

Boozing: Mahoney At Match
“That incident was circulated on social media and from that the defendant was identified.”

Mahoney was arrested and questioned by police. “He said: ‘I don’t remember if I’m honest. I had some cans going down after no breakfast and I was completely drunk.’

“He said he was a rugby fan, not a football fan and was down with friends and did not want to threaten violence and said throwing the bottle was a drunken mistake,” added Mr. Seetal.

“He said he had about twelve pints in total.”

Applying for an order prohibiting Mahoney attending matches the prosecutor said: “Alcohol seems to have been a factor here so the prosecution say there is a risk of attending future football matches.”

First-time offender Mahoney told the court: “It was out of character, a drunken mistake. I’m not into football and I just went down with the lads and I apologise.
Mahoney's Empty

“I am applying to be a Prison Officer and that is coming up soon. I have not had a drink since.

“It was a plastic bottle and I just threw it without thinking of the consequences. It was a stupid mistake.

“I play rugby, I’m a member of a rugby team. There was a spare ticket going so I just went.

“It is the first football match I have ever been to.”

Regarding his career plans with the prison service Judge Cooper told him: “I would think they will see you have a criminal record.”

Mahoney received a six-month conditional discharge, with £85 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

“You a rugby person and it is unlikely you will attend more matches,” she told him. “You did throw a missile during the football game and you could have caused the player serious harm by your actions.

“The consequences of your actions could have been extremely serious, but this offence is completely out of character.

“I accept it was though excitement and I am sure you will not be before the court again.”

No comments: