Thursday, 1 December 2016

Rugby Star Landed Boozy Blow After Night's Drinking

Newcastle Falcons rugby star Dan Temm punched a man to the floor and tried to stamp on him during a drunken night out.

The six feet four, sixteen stone flanker, 25, got caught up in early hours violence in Wimbledon Broadway, south-west London. 

New Zealand-born Temm, of Featherstone Grove, Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour, with intent to cause fear of or provoke unlawful violence, on July 11. 

Prosecutor Miss Frances Lockhart told the court it was 4am when a CCTV operator recorded potential trouble.

“Mr. Tamm was in Wimbledon Broadway after a night out drinking and got involved in an argument and punches were thrown by another man towards him.

“Mr. Tamm stepped away and offered no violence and then a third person attempted to neutralise the situation.

“The defendant then punched this third person in the face and knocked him to the ground.

“While on the ground Mr. Tamm attempted to stamp on him.”

Two police officers witnessed him decking the man. PC Greg Barnett said in a statement: “I saw a man pull his arm back and punch another male, knocking him to the floor. 

“He tried to kick the man in the head, who was lying in the middle of the road.” 

“I saw a white male in a black and grey top throw another man to the floor and repeatedly try to kick him in the head,” noted WPC Michaela Pearce.

It is not the first time Temm, who ended up playing professional rugby in the Aviva Premiership after initially coming to the UK to play cricket, has used violence in this country.

The court heard he was convicted of battery in June, last year, when he was conditionally discharged for three months.

Mr. Mark Haslam, defending, said: “The man who was hit gets up almost immediately afterwards and never gives a statement and there is no evidence he ever had an injury.

“He made numerous attempts to avoid physical violence by backing away,” said the lawyer of the Falcons rugby 7s captain.

“The defendant seeks on numerous occasions to avoid confrontation, but overreacts after a long period of provocation.”

Mr. Haslam viewed CCTV of the incident at Sutton Police Station: “The defendant can be seen making strenuous efforts not to get involved.

“He runs backwards for a minute ducking and weaving and on two occasions Mr. Tamm was put to the ground and kicked while on the ground.

“The events began earlier at 3.45am. There is a dispute between two groups of young men and the aggression from the outset came from the other group.

“He unfortunately retaliated after the violent pursuit of him and the provocation.

“He accepts he had been drinking, but there is nothing to say he was fighting drunk.”

Magistrate Ms. Vanessa Weguelin told Temm: “You were involved in a very unpleasant melee. We accept it was long and sustained and you did try and extricate yourself.”

He was fined £350, with £85 costs and ordered to pay a £35 victim surcharge.

No comments: